(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Guilford College"

Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World 

This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in 
the world by JSTOR. 

Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other 
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the 
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries. 

We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this 
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial 
purposes. 

Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.jstor.org/participate-jstor/individuals/early- 
journal-content . 



JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people 
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching 
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit 
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please 
contact support@jstor.org. 



62 



THE HIGH SCHOOL JOURNAL 



terially enlarged and this the state should do at its 
earliest possible opportunity. 

As one makes a survey of the school facilities and 
college opportunities in North Carolina, holding in 
mind what private enterprise and religious denomina- 
tions are doing in the field of 'higher education, also 
what the state is doing, while he may be filled with 
the spirit of pride, yet he must see that in the field of 
teacher-training the state still has much to do. It is 
the purpose of this College to fill the urgent need and 
long felt want in our state for more properly trained 



teachers. The work done by this college is work that 
will be of vital importance to every institution of 
higher learning in the state, for it sends to the public 
schools teachers who will properly lay a foundation 
and who will build securely thereupon that education 
that every boy and every girl in North Carolina must 
have before he can enter college, but more important 
even than this is the training that will be given to the 
thousands who will never go to college, thus raising the 
standard of citizenship of our state. Is this not worthy 
of our past as well as hopeful for our future ! 



GUILFORD COLLEGE 

By PRESIDENT RAYMOND BINFORD 

Guilford College, N.C. 



GUILFORD COLLEGE, the oldest coeduca- 
tional college in the South, was opened in 1837 
as New Garden Boarding School, with twenty- 
five boys and twenty-five girls enrolled. The courses 
offered were gradually increased, and the scholarship 
of the faculty raised until in 1888 it became a standard 
college offering four years of college work, and was 
granted the right to confer the bachelor's degree. Since 
Dr. Capen of the Bureau of Education at Washington 
made a survey of the colleges of North Carolina, Guil- 



ford has been recognized as a Class A College. Al- 
though the institution has maintained a preparatory 
department, this phase of the work has been gradually 
reduced, is now conducted by a separate corps of teach- 
ers, and will probably be discontinued within the next 
two years. 

The College has constantly kept abreast of the rising 
standards of education by the erection from time to 
time of new buildings, the establishment of labora- 
tories for the teaching of chemistry, physics, biology 




COX HALL— GUILFORD COLLEGE 



THE HIGH SCHOOL JOURNAL 



63 



and home economics, and by providing ior new de- 
partments of instruction. There are now sixteen de- 
partments with able instructors in charge. 

In the matter of coeducation Guilford College has 
not only been a pioneer but also a leader. Several 
other institutions have in recent years opened their 
doors to men and women alike. In the case of Guil- 
ford, however, long experience and well established 
precedents have selected and preserved the most whole- 
some and natural relations between the young men 
and women. An extensive study of the curricula of 
American colleges has also shown that in courses 
offered and in subjects chosen by the students there 
is practically no difference in studies taught in the col- 
leges for men and women, and in the coeducational 
institutions. Instead of being a hindrance or an 
embarrassment one to another, boys and girls work- 
ing in the same class room stimulate each other to 
better work, and to finer achievement. 

Guilford College is equipped for about two hundred 



and fifty to three hundred students. We believe that 
three hundred is about as large a number of students 
as can work together as a unit. When the number 
becomes larger than that one person cannot become 
acquainted with each individual and the control must 
be delegated to a number of subordinate men. The 
work must be done with large masses or so greatly 
subdivided that one group cannot be kept in touch 
with the work of other groups. It is usually true that 
a man forms a larger number of close personal ac- 
quaintances in a small college than in a large one. Three 
hundred students make a large enough group to carry 
on the usual activities of college life, and is not so 
large but that every one may take and is urged to take 
a large part in that life. 

Simplicity of life, high standards of scholarship, 
strong religious and moral influences and wide visions 
of service to the world are some of the ideals Guilford 
has, to a large degee, been able to maintain on its 
beautiful campus and in its well-equipped buildings. 



QUEENS COLLEGE 

By PRESIDENT W. H. FRAZER 

Charlotte, N. C. 



THIS INSTITUTION has had a continuous 
history since 1857, and can be traced with 
almost definite precision to an origin in 1766. 
In 1857 it was taken over by Rev. Robert Burwell 
and his splendid wife Margaret Anne Burwell and 
was given the name of : "The Charlotte Female Insti- 
tute." Later it became the Presbyterian College for 



Women and was under the able direction of Dr. At- 
kinson for nearly thirty years. 

In 1901 it passed under ecclesiastical control and 
for 11 years Dr. J. R. Bridges, now editor of the 
Presbyterian Standard, was the efficient president. 

In 1912 the college was removed to Myers Park and 
the name was changed to Queens College. Dr. John 




QUEENS COLLEGE